
Dominica is absolutely, positively the high point of this trip! We snagged 2 seats on a guided tour bus for $20 pp and had a great time. Now THIS is what I was expecting. This is the first Caribbean island that had any lush to it… huge leaves, tons of vegetation, just about any fruit you can imagine, but it was the least developed of the Caribbean countries (the rain forest was beautiful- very comparable to those in Costa Rica). I lit up when the tour guide (who was amazing…he knew more about the island than I know about myself!) hopped off the bus and grabbed a handful of cinnamon leaves and lemon grass. He explained how natural herbs & spices are used every day, to battle/prevent all sorts of illnesses, diseases, promote health, longevity and well being. I am into this stuff HUGE (I am working on my Registered Aroma therapist certification right now) so I feel right at home here. We did a small hike and saw 2 waterfalls (40-50 ft tall), a spurting sulfur spring, botanical gardens, a bus crushed by a hurricane (1995) and the cutest mongoose. The ship set sail again at 5 pm & we will be arriving in Antigua (yeah!!) at 8 am. The official currency of Dominica is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar.
Looks like heaven... how's the housing (hut) prices running? Inquiring minds want to know.
ReplyDelete